Water from the Well

Water from the Well

Friday, March 25, 2016

Reverse Offering

On March 14th, Stewardship Sunday, I tried an experiment called a Reverse Offering, in which I took money from the Minister's Discretionary Fund, and put it in envelopes, ranging from $1 to $20, and invited people to do some good in the world with this money, and let me know what they did. I am beginning to hear some stories of how people have put this money to use. A few:
...I used my dollar from the pay it forward envelop for a "pending coffee" at the gas station.
...using coupons, rebates etc to buy toiletries,food etc, we turned it into 2 colgate toothpastes, 12 bars of Irish Spring soap and 1 Sure deodorant which we then donate to Preble street or the food pantry.
...First we took it to the bank and traded it in for 100 pennies.  Then we brought the pennies home and affixed a happy-face sticker to each one.  Now we are busy distributing the pennies whenever the bill at a check-out counter calls for a few, or when there is another occasion to slip a few into a donation container. We have been doing this for some time now and occasionally have been asked by a cashier to keep our penny. I guess they believe it has more value than an ordinary penny, and they may be right. I tell them, that’s not the point. One cashier, upon noticing the happy face and with a smile on her face, told me she had been having a bad day but this little act turned it around for her. Anyone who wishes to may create their own happy pennies.
...I received $10.00 in my envelope and I have decided to put it back in the plate and match it to give $20.
 ...I decided to put my dollar in the Ferry Beach scholarship jar.
...I wanted to report that I gave my dollar from the service last week to a donation box at Fanueil Hall for sustaining interpreter services for visitor to the museum. It happened to be on St. Patrick's Day!  * I thought that giving different amounts of $ to members of the congregation was a great idea for modeling how growth and good things can happen through community support. 
Finally, another member added a $25 dollar check and gave $26 back to the Ministers Discretionary Fund.  I look forward to hearing about and sharing more stories about what you did with your reverse offering!


No comments:

Post a Comment